Prior to Ryerson, I worked in the United States as a professor for three years. During that time, I taught fashion design, and computer design courses in both graduate and undergraduate levels. My research interests lie in the areas of consumer behaviour, fashion consumption, marketing, and subculture. Over the last few years, I have disseminated a number of research projects include consumers’ aspirations and perceptions of denim jeans, young consumers’ shopping attitudes and behaviour, and cross-national study of fashion aesthetic and function. Apart from these research areas, I am also interested in ethic dresses, aging consumers, and multiculturism. Currently, I am working on a project entitled Cross-National Consumer Research: Modelling Fashion Shoppers’ Behavior and Preferences funded by the SSHRC Insight Development Grant. If you need more information about my research, please feel free to contact me.
Associate Professor, Fashion Communication Program Director & Internship Coordinator
Dip of Higher Education, Fashion and Clothing Technology, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
MDes Fashion Design, Royal College of Art
Phone: 416-979-5000Ex. 6911
KHW 59 F
- Centrality of fashion typologies, design and assortment: A cross-national study of consumer choice
- Cross-national consumer research: Modelling fashion shoppers’ behavior and preferences
- Chinese Canadians and fashion consumption in metropolitan areas - Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal; (4) Aging Consumers and Mobile Fashion Shopping
- Inclusive Shopping Experience for Canadian Older Consumers in the Context of Omni-Channel Retailing; (6) Cultural Interchange through Ethnic Dress: Social Engagement and Public Perceptions; (7) Baby Boomers and Fashion Consumption; and (8) Eye-tracking investigation of consumers’ perceptions towards fashion websites
(1) Rahman, O. and Petroff, L. (2014). Communicating brand image through fashion designers’ homes, flagship stores and ready-to-wear collection. In J.H. Hancocks, II, V. Manlow, G. Muratovski and A. Peirson-Smith (Eds.) Global Fashion Brands: Style, Luxury & History, Intellect Publisher, UK, pp. 179-198.
(1) Chang, W.-L., Hsu, C.W., Chang, H.-C. and Rahman, O. (2015), “Service brand and customer attire: A genetic algorithm approach”, International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education.
(2) Rahman, O. (2015), “Denim jeans: A qualitative study of product cues, body type and appropriateness of use”, Fashion Practice: The Journal of Design, Creative Process & the Fashion Industry, Vol. 7 No. 1, 53-74.
(3) Rahman, O., Fung, B. and Liu, W.-S. (2014). “Using data mining to analyze fashion consumers’ preferences from a cross-national perspective”, International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, Vol. 7 No. 1, pp. 42-49.
(4) Rahman, O., Chen, X. and Au, R. (2013), “Consumer behaviour of Chinese pre-teen and teenage youth”, Journal of Global Fashion Marketing, Vol. 4 No. 4, pp. 247-265.
(5) Rahman, O., Liu, W.-S. and Cheung, M.-H. (2012), “Cosplay: Imaginative self and performing identity”, Fashion Theory: The Journal of Dress, Body & Culture. Vol. 16 No. 3, pp. 317-342.
(6) Rahman, O. (2012), “The influence of visual and tactile inputs on denim jeans evaluation”, International Journal of Design. Vol. 6 No. 1, pp. 11-25. Available at: http://www.ijdesign.org/ojs/index.php/IJDesign/article/view/955/400
(7) Rahman, O. (2011), “Understanding consumers’ perceptions and behaviour: Implications for denim jeans design”, Journal of Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management, Vol. 7 No. 1, pp. 1-16. Available at: http://ojs.cnr.ncsu.edu/index.php/JTATM/article/viewFile/845/909
(8) Rahman, O., Liu, W.-S., Lam, E. and Chan, M.-T. (2011), “Lolita: Imaginative self and elusive consumption”, Fashion Theory: The Journal of Dress, Body and Culture, Vol. 15 No. 1, pp. 7-28.
(9) Rahman, O., Yan, J. and Liu, W.-S. (2010), “Evaluative criteria of denim jeans: A cross-national study of functional and aesthetic aspects”, The Design Journal, Vol. 13 No. 3, pp. 291-311.
(10) Rahman, O., Yan, J. and Liu, W.-S. (2009), “Evaluative criteria for sleepwear: A study of privately consumed product in the People’s Republic of China”, International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, Vol. 2 No. 2-3, pp. 81-90.
(11) Rahman, O., Zhu, X. and Liu W.-S., (2008), “A study of the pyjamas purchasing behaviour of Chinese consumers in Hangzhou, China”, Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, Vol. 12 No. 2, pp. 217-231.
"Binomia: An Exploration of Fashion and Art in the Arabian Gulf" by Maggie Jonk. 2015.
“Sustainable fashion design: Transformable garments for versatility and longevity" by Minjie Gong. 2014.
“Understanding the shopping behavior, clothing choice and consumption experience of mature Taiwanese women" by Wan-Tien Chang. 2014.
“How online videos effect our perception of fashion brands" by Ryan Payne. 2013.
"B2C (Business-to-consumer) mobile marketing for Canadian retailers" by Ivonne Serna. 2013.
"Cosplay culture: The development of interactive and living art through play" by Ashley Lotecki. 2012.
“Fashion designers' home interiors: Extending their brand aesthetic through magazine features" by Laura Petroff. 2012
"Faith and Fashion: Christian Dress and Identity" by Jacquline Smith. (In Progress)
"Fashionable Yet Comfy High Heels E-Commerce Start-Up" by Nghe Huynh. (In Progress)